Home > Other > FAQ


General Information

Q1  What are the curriculum and CCA hours for each level?

Primary 1 to Primary 6

The curriculum time for Primary 1 to Primary 6 is:

7.45 a.m. to 1.45 p.m. on Monday, Tuesday and Thursday

7.45 a.m. to 1.15 p.m. on Wednesday and Friday

CCA for Primary 3 to Primary 6 will be held in the afternoon on Thursday mostly.

Thursdays: 2.30 p.m. to 4.30 p.m.

Q2  What time should my child report to school for his/her lessons?

Primary 1 to Primary 6 students should report by 7.30 a.m. for assembly.

You may refer to the following link for more information. 

What are the recess times?

The recess times are as follow:

Primary 1 & 2 - 9.45 a.m. to 10.15 a.m.

Primary 3 & 4 - 10.15 a.m. to 10.45 a.m. 

Primary 5 & 6 - 10.45 a.m. to 11.15 a.m. 

Q4  Where can I find information on the school bus services for my child?

You may refer to the following link on the price list and registration form.

Please contact the school’s appointed school bus operator at 6553 3838 directly to make arrangements for your child’s school bus services.

Q5  How can I purchase school uniforms and textbooks for my child?

You may purchase your child’s school uniforms and textbooks from the school bookshop at the end of the year in November and December. The school textbook and stationery lists will be given to your child during the last week of school in November. Should you require further purchase of the textbooks, you may make ad-hoc purchases at the school bookshop during the school term from 9.00am to 4.30pm. For further purchase of the uniforms, you may visit our uniform supplier at the designated locations outside school.The price list and contact details of the school uniform and bookshop operators can be found at the following link.

Q6  What are the operating hours of the school dental clinic?

The operating hours are:

Mondays to Thursdays: 8.00am to 1.00pm and 2.00pm to 5.30pm

Fridays: 8.00am to 1.00pm and 2.00pm to 5.00pm

Please contact our dental therapist at 6257 1152 to fix an appointment prior to attending at the clinic.  

Q7 How can I make a claim for my child’s accident in the school or during school activities?

You may approach your child’s form teacher for a claim form and submit the necessary supporting documents (e.g. original medical bills, doctor’s medical certification and reports) together with the claim form back to the school. The insurer will liaise with you on matters relating to your child’s accident and claim procedures. If you have any queries on the policy coverage and claim procedures, please call the insurer, NTUC Income, directly at 6332 1133.

Financial Assistance

Q8  My child is a Singapore Citizen and I am experiencing financial difficulty in paying for my child’s fees. What should I do?

MOE has in place various schemes to support the education of Singaporean students. Information on these schemes can be found here .

If you need financial assistance, you may wish to consider the MOE Financial Assistance Scheme (FAS). The MOE FAS is a scheme to assist needy Singaporean families in meeting essential school expenses so that every child can have the opportunity to complete their education. Eligible families may submit an application form and the required supporting documents to the school. The school will process your application and inform you on the outcome of your application.

You may approach the school to obtain the application form and further information on the MOE FAS. Alternatively, you can download the application form at .

Q9 My child does not have a computer at home and I have financial difficulty in buying a computer or applying for internet facilities for my child. What should I do?

If your child is a Singapore Citizen or Singapore Permanent Resident, you may consider applying for the NEU PC Plus Programme. This programme is initiated by the Infocomm Development Authority of Singapore (IDA) to offer affordable PCs and broadband access to students from low-income families. Successful applicants can purchase a PC with free software and 3 years of free broadband subscription at subsidised price.

Alternatively, your child may also apply for broadband service if your household has a PC but does not have broadband access.

You may approach the school’s General Office for the application form.

Q10  Is my child eligible for the NEU PC Plus Programme?

The NEU PC Plus Programme is open to Singapore Citizens and Singapore Permanent Residents. The combined gross monthly household income must not exceed $2,700, or per capita household income must not exceed $700.

Each eligible household can only apply for one PC regardless of the total number of school-going children. 

Q11  I am unable to afford the co-payment (at subsidised price) for the NEU PC Plus Programme for my child? What should I do?

You may approach the school to seek further financial assistance for the co-payment, subject to approval on case-by-case basis.

Alternatively, you may apply for assistance under the IDA iNSPIRE Fund if your total household income does not exceed $1,800 or per capita household income does not exceed $500. Application for iNSPIRE Fund must be supported and signed by the Principal.

School Admissions/ Transfers

Q12  How can I register my child for the Primary One Registration Exercise in the school?

The Primary One Registration Exercise is an exercise for a child to register for a Primary One place in a mainstream school. It is tentatively conducted between July and August each year. You can register your child for the Primary One Registration Exercise only during the period of exercise and the phase that you are eligible for registration. Please refer to the MOE website for information on the registration phases and procedures.

Q13  My child was unsuccessful in securing a place for the Primary One Registration Exercise. Can I place my child in the school’s waiting list?

You may place your child in the school’s waiting list. The outcome is subject to the vacancies available for the level of study in the year of admission that your child is seeking to enter.

Q14  How can I request a transfer of my child to the school?

You may download the request form from the school website and submit the completed form, together with a copy of your child’s latest school results to the school via email, fax or mail. As admission is subject to availability of vacancies, the school will contact you if there is a vacancy for your child.

Direct School Admission- Secondary (DSA-Sec) Exercise

Q15  What is the Direct School Admission – Secondary (DSA-Sec) Exercise?

The DSA-Sec Exercise is an admission exercise to allow participating secondary schools to select some P6 students for admission to Secondary One. The selection will be based on their achievements and talents before the Primary School Leaving Examination (PSLE) results are released. P6 students have a choice of whether or not to participate in DSA-Sec Exercise.

Q16  When is the DSA-Sec Exercise conducted?

 The DSA-Sec Exercise is conducted in 3 stages from July to November each year. During the Application Stage before July, students may obtain information on DSA-Sec schools (e.g. niche areas, selection dates and process) by checking on school websites, calling or visiting the schools of their interest. Students then identify the school(s), check on the application procedures and submit the application to the schools of their choice.

During the Selection Stage in July-August, shortlisted students will go for selection tests at DSA-Sec schools and receive the outcome of their application (i.e. confirmed, waitlist or rejected) by end August. Students with “confirmed offers” or who have been put on waitlist will receive a School Preference Form from their primary schools by mid October.

During the Exercise School Preference Stage in the third week of October, parents can indicate and submit their child’s school preference(s) for up to 3 schools in the DSA-Sec School Preference Form electronically or physically to their primary schools.

During the Results Release Stage in late November, students will collect their DSA-Sec allocation results from their primary school, together with their PSLE results. Students who are unsuccessful in the DSA-Sec Exercise will be notified of the application outcome and will participate in the Secondary One Posting Exercise.

Please click here for more information on the DSA-Sec Exercise.

Q17  Can my child participate in the Secondary One Posting Exercise if he/she has participated in the DSA-Sec Exercise?

If your child has been successfully admitted to a school through the DSA-Sec Exercise, he/she is not allowed to participate in the Secondary One Posting Exercise. This is because a place has already been reserved for your child in the DSA-Sec school.

Q18  Can my child request a transfer to another school after successful admission to a DSA-Sec school through the DSA-Sec Exercise?

If your child has been successfully admitted to a school through the DSA-Sec Exercise, he/she is not allowed to transfer to another school after the release of the PSLE results. Your child is expected to honour his/her commitment to his/her posted DSA-Sec school.

Secondary One (S1) Posting Exercise

Q19  Can my child participate in the Secondary One (S1) Posting Exercise?

All mainstream P6 students who pass the PSLE except those who have been successfully allocated a secondary school place via the Direct School Admission – Secondary (DSA-Sec) Exercise can participate in the S1 Posting Exercise.

Q20  When is the S1 Posting Exercise conducted?

The S1 Posting Exercise is conducted in 3 phases from late November to December.

During the S1 Option Phase, mainstream P6 students who pass the PSLE will be given a S1 Option Form together with the PSLE results. Parents can use the PIN number in the S1 Option Form to submit their child’s S1 options and/or secondary school choices electronically or physically to their primary schools.

During the School Posting Phase, students will be posted to secondary schools taking into consideration their PSLE results, choices of schools and available vacancies.

During the Posting Results Release Phase, students will be notified of the school posting results. Students will need to report to their posted secondary schools on the next working day after the release of the posting results. 

Please click here for more information on the S1 Posting Exercise.

Parent Volunteer (chamPS)

Q21  My child is currently studying in the school and I wish to contribute my service as a parent volunteer. How can I join the chamPS?

You may download the parent volunteer enrolment form here and submit to the school via email, fax or mail. Alternatively, you may register online at /our-partners/parent-support-group-champs

Q22  What are the areas of service that I can contribute as a parent volunteer?

Parent volunteers can support the school in various areas such as reading programmes, tutoring, road safety, IT support, pupil wellness, parenting support, chaperons for enrichment learning journeys, library and admin support services. For more information, please check the school website at  /our-partners/parent-support-group-champs

Q23  I am interested in applying as a parent volunteer under the Primary One Phase 2B scheme. How can I apply?

Please refer to the school website for up-to-date information on the application procedure. Applications submitted after the closing deadline will not be considered.

Q24  What are the benefits of joining chamPS?

chamPS was first set up in 1998 to provide parents with a platform to participate in the nurturing of the Northlanders. Through chamPS, parent volunteers get to widen their networks and gain a sense of achievement as they partner the school in contributing to the academic success and growth of the students.


Q25  I am a former student and wish to join the Alumni. How can I register?

You may download the alumni registration form from the school website at this link 

The registration form can be submitted via email to . Alternatively, you may e-register here.

Subject-based Banding and Higher Mother Tongue (HTML) Eligibility

Q26  At what level does Subject-based Banding take place?

Subject-based Banding takes place at Primary 4.

Q27  How does Subject-based Banding work for my child?

Subject-based Banding was introduced as a refinement to the streaming process to help every child realise his/her potential. This allows greater flexibility for your child in having the choice to take a combination of Standard and Foundation subjects, depending on his/her strengths. This can help your child focus and improve on the subjects that he/she is strong in while building up the fundamentals in the subjects that he/she is very weak in. Therefore, Subject-based Banding encourages your child to stretch his/her potential in the areas he/she naturally excels in.

You may refer to this link for more information on the Subject-based Banding process.

Q28  Will my child be at a disadvantage if he is offered Foundation subjects?

Progression to secondary school level depends on your child’s PSLE score. The different expectations of Standard and Foundation subjects will be taken into account when your child’s PSLE score is calculated.

Offering weaker subjects at foundation level is not a disadvantage to your child. It enables him/her to focus on building up strong fundamentals in these subjects and better prepares him/her for progression to secondary school.

Q29  How can I know whether my child is eligible for Higher Mother Tongue Language (HMTL) at Primary 5 and Primary 6 levels?

At the end of the Subject-based Banding at Primary 4, your child will be issued with a Subject-based Banding Reply Form which will indicate whether your child is eligible for HMTL at Primary 5 level.

Your child will need to achieve at least 85 marks for MT subject at Primary 4 to be offered HMTL at Primary 5. Parents can decide whether your child wants to take HMTL at Primary 5 at the end of the Subject-based Banding by indicating your decision in the Subject-based Banding Reply Form.

Your child will need to achieve 70 marks and above for his/her Primary 5 Standard MTL overall result and 60 marks and above for his/her Primary 5 HMTL overall result in order to continue taking HMTL at Primary 6. The school reserves the right to review your child’s eligibility to take HMTL at Primary 6 if he/she is unable to fulfil both criteria.

Mother Tongue Language (MTL) Exemption

Q30  How can I request MTL exemption for my child?

All Singaporeans and Singapore Permanent Residents are required to study their respective official MTL: Chinese, Malay and Tamil. A non-Tamil Indian may choose to offer Tamil or a non-Tamil Indian Language (e.g. Bengali, Gujarati, Hindi, Punjabi or Urdu).

If your child has been away from Singapore’s school system and has not kept up with the study of his/her MTL, you may seek advice from his/her MTL teacher on the need for MTL exemption. Application for MTL exemption will be submitted through the school and the application outcome will be made known to you and your child upon approval. Applications will be considered on a case-by-case basis.

Q31  My child shows difficulty in coping with the MTL. Can I request MTL exemption for my child?

You should seek advice from your child’s MTL teacher to find out the reasons for his/her difficulty in coping, and work with the MTL teacher to help your child learn better. If your child shows consistent difficulty in coping, you can raise your concern and seek advice from his/her MTL teacher on the need for MTL exemption. Your child’s MTL teacher will work with you through the procedures for an application for MTL exemption if necessary.

Co-Curricular Activities (CCAs)

Q32  Why are CCAs necessary?

CCAs complement academic learning in the classroom and contribute to the holistic development of students. CCAs provide a holistic approach to education for your child.

Q33  Are CCAs compulsory for primary school students? Can my child be exempted from CCAs?

CCAs are necessary for the holistic development of your child. Therefore, your child is strongly encouraged to participate in at least one CCA.

Q34  How can my child benefit from CCAs?

CCAs form an important platform in the character and citizenship education of students. Through CCAs, your child will be able to discover his/her interests, build his/her character and social skills as well as develop his/her spirit of camaraderie with other students from different classes and levels within and outside school. Your child can gain exposure in the area of interest that he/she is keen to explore in. You may refer to the website for more information.

Q35  What are the CCAs offered by the school?

The school offers a range of CCAs in the area of clubs and societies, performing arts, sports and games and uniformed groups. Students can choose the CCAs that they wish to participate in. The list of CCAs offered by the school can be found here .

Q36  Can my child sign up for more than one CCA?

Yes, your child may sign up for more than one CCA. There is no restriction on the number of CCAs that your child can sign up for. However, you should also consider your child’s ability to cope with the CCA demands as well as the different timings during which the CCAs are conducted.

Programme for Active Learning (PAL)

Q37  What is PAL?

The Programme for Active Learning (PAL) aims to develop character and useful life-skills by providing Primary 1 and 2 students with early exposure to different modular activities in four areas – Sports and Games, Outdoor Education, Performing Arts (Music and Dance) and Visual Arts. PAL is carried out during school curriculum hours.

Q38  What are the components covered in PAL?

PAL activities are experiential in nature and incorporate elements of fun and play. Components of values education and social emotional learning will also be incorporated for students to develop social and emotional competencies. Students will be developed in the five learning domains of cognitive, moral, aesthetics, social and physical.

Q39  How can my child benefit from PAL?

Participating in PAL helps students to balance the acquisition of knowledge with skills and values and enable them to have a well-rounded education. Your child will learn to express himself/herself clearly and make responsible decisions. He/She will develop confidence, a sense of curiosity, a positive attitude towards learning, greater awareness of self and others as well as learn to manage relationships and work in teams. 

Q40  Can my child opt out of PAL?

Other than those with medical exemption from some PAL activities, your child is expected to participate in PAL.

Q41  Can my child choose the activities that he/she wants to participate in?

The school will determine the modules and type of activities which can best cater to the needs and interests of their students.

Q42  How will PAL be implemented?

PAL is offered to your child in Primary 1 and 2. Over the 2 years, your child will attend at least 7 modules in the four areas of Sports and Games, Outdoor Education, Performing Arts and Visual Arts. Each module spans 7 to 10 weeks and will be conducted during school curriculum hours.

Q43  Is there support provided in PAL for children with special learning needs?

The school has teachers and Allied Educators who are trained to support children with mild special needs. These teachers and Allied Educators will help your child during PAL activities.For more information on PAL, you may wish to visit the website here .

Programmes to Support Children with Different Learning Needs

Q44  My child needs help due to his learning disability. How can the school support my child in his mainstream education?

All primary schools are resourced to support students with mild special needs and different learning abilities. With the support of our Allied Educators and School Counsellor, students with mild special needs and learning differences should still be able to work well in the school environment.

However, if you feel that your child needs more customised programmes to cater to his distinct learning disability, you may speak with your child’s form teacher to consider more specialised education and support to enable your child to function optimally and integrate well into the society in the future.

Q45  Will my child be at a disadvantage due to the difference in his learning ability?

While the school can support students with mild special needs and learning differences, the pace of learning depends on the student’s level of learning ability and difference. Students with distinct learning disabilities may consider special education (SPED) schools that run different programmes to cater to these students who are unable to benefit from mainstream schooling. More information on special education can be found here .

School-based Student Care Centre

Q46 What are the operating hours for the Student Care Centre? 

During the regular School Term, our operating hours are:
•      Mondays to Fridays, 11:00am to 7:00pm
During the regular School Holidays, our operating hours are:
•  Mondays to Fridays, 7am to 7:00pm.

Q47 What are the components of the after-school programme?

The programme consists of various components such as homework guidance and supervision, leadership and character building programme, enrichment activities, in-house counselling for parents and students, as well as holiday activities and outings during the June and December holidays.

Q48  What is the duration and reporting time for the after-school programme?

The programme lasts about 5 hours daily. Students will attend the programme from 1.30pm to 7.00pm. They will report to the Student Care Centre at 1.30pm after school dismissal.

Q49  Do I have to pay extra surcharge if I wish to put my child in a full-day after-school programme during the school holidays?

Students who are on half-day programme do not have to pay any additional surcharge during the school holidays. Students who are on full-day programme (i.e. from 7.00am to 7.00pm) will need to pay an additional surcharge of $5 per day. Parents may inform the Student Care Centre on the days that their children will be placed on full-day programme. The Student Care Centre will notify parents on the additional surcharge payable for the month based on the number of full-days attended. 

Q50  Can I enrol my child in the school’s Student Care Centre? 

Students who are in need of a guided after-school programme due to the lack of family supervision (as a result of both parents working) may consider enrolling in the school’s Student Care Centre.

Parents who need to enrol their children may approach your child’s Form Teacher to facilitate the enrolment.

Q51  What is the monthly fee for the Student Care Centre?

The full fee is $267.50 (2018 to 2019), $278 (2020 to 2021), $289 (2022 to 2023) per month. Families that qualify for the Student Care Financial Assistance (SCFA) subsidy will pay subsidised fee rates



The SCFA scheme provides financial assistance for children from lower-income families who enrol in SCFA Administrator Student Care Centres (SCCs). A portion of the SCC monthly fees is subsidised depending on the household/per capita income of the family.

ComCare may be able to help if:

Both you and your spouse are working

Your total monthly family income is $4,000 or less each month or your monthly household per capita income is $1,000 or less

Your child is between 7 - 14 years of age

Your child attends a registered Student Care Centre

Your child is a Singapore Citizen or Permanent Resident (at least one immediate family member in the same household must be a Singapore Citizen)

*This assistance is also available to children with disabilities in special student care centres. Approach the Centre for Enabled Living for more information.

You may receive: Monthly subsidy

The amount of subsidy is dependent on your monthly household income.

A one-off Start-up Grant of up to $400 per child.

The grant can be used to pay for the initial costs such as deposit, registration fee, uniform and insurance.


If the household has 4 or less family members, please refer to this column:

If the household has 5 or more family members, please refer to this column:

If the monthly student care fees <$290

If the monthly student care fees ≥$290

Gross HHI tiers ($)

Gross PCI tiers ($)

Subsidy (%)

Maximum subsidy ($)





1501 - 2000

376 – 500



2001 - 2200

501 - 550



2201 - 2400

551 - 600



2401 - 2600

601 - 650



2601 - 2800

651 - 700



2801 - 3000

701 - 750



3001 - 3200

751 - 800



3201 - 3400

801 - 850



3401 - 3500

851 - 875



3501 - 4000

876 - 1000








Obtain an application form and apply for the scheme at any registered student care centre.

 You need to bring the following:

   Copy of your child’s Birth Certificate
   Copy of both parents’ updated NRIC. If the child is cared for by a guardian, please provide a copy of the proof of guardianship and the guardian’s NRIC.
   Latest copy of both parents’ pay slips or a letter from employers stating both parents’ monthly income.

If you have questions pertaining to the SCFA adjustments, please email to

If you have questions pertaining to SCFA application and processing, please email to

Q52  How can I be eligible to apply for SCFA subsidy?

Your child must be a Singapore citizen. If your child is a Singapore Permanent Resident, at least one member of the immediate family must be a Singapore citizen. Your child must also be between 7 to 14 years old, and both parents must be employed (or self-employed). For families with 4 or less members, the gross monthly household income should not exceed $3,500. For families with 5 or more members, the gross per capita income should not exceed $875.

Q53  How can I apply for SCFA subsidy?

You may request an application form from the Student Care Centre. Complete the application form and return to the Student Care Centre, together with the required supporting documents. The Student Care Centre will notify you of the application outcome and the monthly subsidised fee amount payable.

Q54  How can I contact the Student Care Centre for enrolment and/or SCFA subsidy?

You may contact Miss Tina Cheng of Northland Student Care Centre at 8686 0460 or .