Brief introduction on FamilyMatters@School Evidence-Based Parenting Programmes (Triple P and Signposts)
FamilyMatters@School is a school-based programme that offers parents and students easy access to family life education (FLE) programmes and resources. The programme seeks to:
a) Equip parents with the skills and knowledge to:
- Enrich and strengthen their family life; and
- Foster better parent-child understanding and relationship;
b) Equip students with:
- Skills to build healthy relationships with their peers and family; and
- Positive values and attitudes towards family, relationships and life in general
Here is some background information on the Triple P and Signposts:
- Triple P (Positive Parenting Program http://www.triplep.net/glo-en/home ) is a parenting and family support strategy that aims to prevent severe behavioural, emotional and developmental problems in children by enhancing the knowledge, skills and confidence of parents. It is one of the few parenting programmes in the world that has been scientifically proven to work. It has been rigorously tested and evaluated in more than 150 international clinical trials and studies, and found to be effective in reducing problem behaviour in children and improving parents’ wellbeing and parenting skills.
) aims to help parents design a personalised programme that suits the unique needs of their child and develop strategies to prevent and manage difficult behaviour. Signposts was first evaluated by a scientific study of 115 families and later through a Australian Statewide trial involving 3,000 families. Both studies showed positive outcomes for parents and children. Parents were more confident and less stressed in their parenting role and children’s difficult behaviours improved and their positive behaviours increased.
Research Findings and Useful Tips on Parenting